So your makeup is complete and you want to top off your look with the perfect lip color… that stays! Long lasting lip color is an age old battle of makeup application. Lipsticks that promise a longer wear tend to be drying and those that don't make outlandish claims of lasting hours on end tend to wear off after your first sip of coffee or your first cocktail at happy hour. So how do we stand up to this struggle? There are a few steps to make any standard lip color last longer but if you're running out the door or need a quick fix for to transition from day to night in your rear view mirror- we can take care of that too with just one product!
5 Magic Steps…
1. Conceal your lips! Yes you will look a little scary after this step, but don't worry it's just for a minute. This will not only prime your lips so the product sticks, but neutralizing the color of your lips will allow whatever you apply to appear more pigmented.
2. Powder your pout! Dusting a loose or pressed powder over the concealer will absorb any natural oils on your lips helping the product to stay in place.
3. Line it up! Whether using a lipstick or gloss, liner will help the color last longer with its waxy texture. Depending on the look you are going for, you can stay on the line only or color in your lips for an all-over color effect. Fun trick for a fuller pout- after lining your lips, concentrate the color on the corners of your mouth to create a contour, leaving the center of your lips a lighter color.
4. Slap on the Stick (or gloss…or both)! Apply your lipstick, gloss or both all over the lips. A few sweeping motions to get the color on the lips followed by a patting motion with the same product, will ensure that the color is in place. If you're just going for gloss… you're all done!
5. Powder Part 2! If you're looking for a fuller color and opted for lipstick, grab a loose translucent powder and a tissue, hold the tissue over your lips and dust the tissue with a large, fluffy brush. Just like step 2, this will eliminate any oils from the lips and seal your color. If you still want to add some sheen, apply gloss after this step. Dabbing gloss to the center of the lips only will give the illusion of fuller lips… Hello Angelina!
Ok, if you are totally overwhelmed by the 5 step pout… have no fear! This bad boy will do the trick and keep your lips looking fab all night long. Lip stains are notorious for being drying, and limited in color range. Lucky for us…. the geniuses at Tarte Cosmetics know what's up! Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tints combine a long lasting tint of color with moisture! What?! They have a bunch of great colors and have matte and glossy finishes. I know… too good to be true!
Now you're set… work with what you have in your makeup bag and get wild with all kinds of fun colors or hit Sephora and pick up Tarte's magic stick for long lasting lips!